How To Change Your Address With The IRS

When you move, there are certain institutions which need to be told about your change of address and the IRS is one of them. Fortunately, there are a number of ways that you can do this. It is important to know what the methods you can use are and determine which one is the best for you.

Using The IRS Form

If you want to officially notify the IRS of your change of address, this can be done using form 8822 which is the Change of Address form. You may also be able to use form 8822-B which is the form for a Change of Address or Responsible Party for businesses. These forms can be downloaded and printed from the IRS website and will need to be sent to the correct IRS address.

Using A Written Statement

Another way to notify the IRS of your change of address is through a written statement. To do this, you will need to send the IRS a written statement which you have signed that states your full name, your old address and the new address. You will also need to include your social security number, EIN or ITIN. The written statement will then need to be mailed to the address where you filed your last tax return.

Using Your Tax Return

You do not have to formally inform the IRS of your address change when it happens. You can use the new address when you file your next tax return. Of course, when you use this method, any IRS correspondence will be sent to your old address. The IRS will not be held liable for you not receiving this communication as you have not advised them of a change of address.

An Oral Notification

If you do not want to inform the IRS in writing, you can do this over the phone or in person. When doing so, you will need to provide proof of identity and the address that the IRS has on file. You should be able to provide them with your full name, both of the addresses, your date of birth and your social security number, EIN or ITIN.

Other Information You Should Know About

If you file a joint tax return with your spouse and are still residing with them, you and your spouse will both have to sign the form or written statement notifying the IRS of your change of address. However, if you used to file a joint return and will now have separate addresses, you need to notify the IRS of the new address where you will be residing.

If you are going to have someone else file the form or written statement for you for any reason, you will need to include form 2848 which is a Power of Attorney and Declaration of Representative. If the person does not have this form with them, they will not be able to change your address fast with the IRS. Unauthorized third-parties are never allowed to change the address of any taxpayer for safety reasons.

About Terry Fowler

Check Also

How To Find The Best Online Store For Jewelry?

With thousands of online jewelry stores, finding the best online store for jewelry is not …